Tuesday 8 June 2010

Back from Italy and Spain!
























































Back at last from Bologna and Spain. The weather was exceptional yet was matched by the warmth of the welcome and the generous hospitality everywhere that we went. The Italian AGM was a great success and club meetings in Spain proved that the Association is alive and well on the Iberian peninsular. I'm pleased to say that there was time to stop and take in the surroundings and simply enjoy being in lovely places. I even found a rather splendid cockerel in the cloisters of a church that we visited - 'the cockerel of St Peter!'
'But what about the foot?' I hear you ask and 'what about the training for the walk?' Although I'm trying to hide the Presidential 'cushion' on which is placed the Presidential jewel on formal occasions, the more discerning among you will see that I haven't managed to lose anymore weight! There was a lot of walking in Bologna and I have to say that the foot took some beating on the Friday and I suffered the following day as we walked to the palace where the AGM was being held. Yet another pair of trainers was bought in Spain and some swimming was undertaken at which point the sun got to me in a big way and I had to retire to the shade! Such are the trials of an overweight, unfit National President who is shortly to walk 100 miles for his chosen charity!
Back to the wonderful UK climate where we rarely have to battle with the sun, and I got some miles in yesterday as I waited for the Presidential limo to have a new windscreen fitted. Today was to be a gym day - and still might be if I can get away from the desk - just so that I can keep my fitness levels finely honed in readiness for the off on Sunday 27th June.
It looks as though I'm still going to have to do this walk in trainers as I still can't find my newest and most comfortable pair of walking boots. You would think that after 9 months I would have been able to unpack all the boxes that came with the move to the little house by the sea: but as I've said before, being National President is a job and a half and there must be 30 boxes still waiting to be unpacked - most of them boxes of books but with one box somewhere containing my boots!
Off to Brum this week for meetings and then on to Wales for a 30th Charter evening. On the way I'll stop to see poor Andy Waite who broke his leg very badly while in Belgium. Sincere thanks to his Belgian surgeon - a Club 41 member who operated on him so well and so swiftly. Andy will be out of Action for at least 6 months. The lengths some guys will go to in order to get out of coming with me on the Presidential yomp!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Malcolm

    Best wishes as you set out on your long walk. The MILLENNIUM WAY is a great walk and I'm sure you'll enjoy it (I've walked it 6 times) however I would encourage you to dig out those boots. The path is well way marked but there are places where the going is not quite like a motorway and particularly if it's raining (perish the thought) there can be some mud, slippery surfaces, and dare I say puddles!! [deep] - Don't want wet feet or twisted ankles! Enjoy the walk.

    Kind regards

    Chris Tayler - Solhull 41 Club

    ReplyDelete